With its proximity to Washington, D.C., Prince George’s County houses some of the nation’s most prominent research institutions, including NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, USDA Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC), and the University of Maryland College Park, among many others. These institutions play a vital role in Prince George’s County’s economy, providing not only a significant base of local employment, but added economic activity as businesses providing services to these facilities locate in the County. Many of the federal facilities are involved in research and development, bringing additional benefits to the County through the creation of spin-off businesses.
The Prince George’s County Economic Development Corporation supports and assists several private, non-profit community alliances that exist to insure that key federal research institutions and military installations in Prince George’s County and the Greater Washington/Baltimore region continue to remain strong economic assets and resources:
NASA Goddard Alliance
- Works with the public to insure a more complete understanding of the central role played by the Goddard Space Flight Center in the scientific exploration of space and to create a feeling of partnership between the Goddard Space Flight Center and the Goddard Community
- Assists in the development of a community education infrastructure and to serve as a community information resource for the Goddard Space Flight Center community including business, state and local government, educational institutions, citizens organizations, cultural groups, and the public at large
- Acts as a source of ideas and suggestions for the GSFC and works in coordination with GSFC on special projects
- Cooperates with all levels of Federal, state, and local governments to accomplish the above objectives
National Agricultural Research Alliance-Beltsville
- Supports and advances the agricultural, human nutrition and scientific research missions of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Beltsville Agricultural Research Center ("BARC"), located in Beltsville, Maryland, thereby securing the benefits of BARC research for farmers, the general public, the nation and the environment
- Advocates in support of BARC and its agricultural and horticultural activities before legislative, executive, administrative and judicial bodies, and the public generally, regarding the contributions to agricultural science, safe and healthful foods, environmental quality, national security and other benefits of BARC, and
- Consistent with BARC's mission, supports the maintenance and preservation of the natural and historic qualities of BARC, including but not limited to, open space, watershed protection and enhancement, clean air and water, and architecturally significant or historical structures
Andrews Business and Community Alliance
- The Andrews Business & Community Alliance (ABCA) consists of members of the business, civic, faith and public sectors whose goal is to provide advocacy and support for the mission at Andrews Air Force Base while fostering successful economic and community relations between them
Fort George G. Meade Alliance
- Ensures that local, state and national objectives support the mission of Ft. Meade.
- Assists Ft. Meade in becoming DOD’s first choice to house military services, civilian support services and federal departments and agencies.
- Supports Ft. Meade initiatives throughout the federal budget process.
- Educates the local business community, key stakeholders and local and state governments regarding Ft. Meade’s priorities, interests, and concerns.
- Improves the overall quality of life for the residents of Ft. Meade.